Here’s my chat with with Nelson Caetano. The podcast is available on Apple Podcasts.
Nelson is an educator and artist with a background in fine art. His most recent project is The Gathering Place – an anthology biography about Toronto artists.
During our chat, Nelson recommended that comic book creators get constructive feedback from the artist community. He suggested that creators avoid trends so that their books remain ‘timeless’. Nelson also offered the idea that creators should reach outside their comfort zone to learn new ways of storytelling.
You can discover more about Nelson on Twitter at @nelson_caetano
Here’s some of the current news about Canadian comic book creators and supporters.
Den of Geek! published their list of the 100 best comics of the decade. The list includes:
– 96 – Boundless by Jillian Tamaki
– 94 – X-Men: Second Coming with David Finch
– 92 – Adventure Time with Ryan North
– 80 – Aliens: Dead Orbit by James Stokoe
– 79 – Shade the Changing Girl by Cecil Castellucci with Marley Zarcone and Kelly Fitzpatick
– 69 – Black Hammer by Jeff Lemire with Dean Ormston, Dave Stewart and others
– 65 – Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man by Chip Zdarsky with Adam Kubert, Jordie Bellaire and others
– 62 – The Valiant by Jeff Lemire with Matt Kindt, Paolo Rivera and Joe Rivera
– 55 – Sex Criminals by Chip Zdarsky with Matt Fraction
– 54 – The Nameless City by Faith Erin Hicks with Jordie Bellaire
– 53 – Exit, Stage Left! The Snagglepuss Chronicles by Mike Feehan with Mark Russell and Paul Mounts
– 43 – Infinite Kung Fu by Kagan McLeod
– 37 – The Underwater Welder by Jeff Lemire
– 36 – Ms. Marvel by Adrian Alphona and Ian Herring with G. Willow Wilson, Takeshi Miyazawa and Nico Leon
– 33 – The Vision by Michael Walsh with Tom King, Gabriel Hernandez Walta and Jordie Bellaire
– 20 – Through The Woods by Emily Carroll
– 15 – Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye by Alex Milne with James Roberts and Josh Burcham
– 9 – Saga by Fiona Staples with Brian K. Vaughan
– 8 – Richard Stark’s Parker: The Outfit by Darwyn Cooke with Donald Westlake
– 6 – The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Ryan North with Erica Henderson, Derek Charm, Rico Renzi and others
– 5 – Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton
You can read more at DenOfGeek.com
Horror News Network announced the writer of the year as part of their comic awards for 2019. The distinguished title goes to Jeff Lemire. The article reads: “Lemire once again had a prolific year, writing a wide variety of titles in a number of genres, but his work on Gideon Falls, Berserker Unbound, and the recently released Family Tree, established him as the top writer for 2019 in the world of horror comics. Lemire’s ability to create believable characters and dialogue in the most unusual of settings, often in cases where readers are able to feel a palpable sense of dread, is a trademark of his writing style, and one that was evident in all of his horror work this year.”
You can read more at HorrorNewsNetwork.com
Jeff Lemire was also interviewed by Forbes about his Black Hammer series including the anticipated TV show. When asked about where he got the idea for the comic book series, Jeff said: “Really, I wanted to tell a superhero story that wasn’t like any other superhero story. I wanted to focus on the characters and put them in a mundane, everyday situation where they were forced to figure out who they were when the “super” side of their lives no longer had any purpose.”
You can read more at Forbes.com
Please subscribe to and like this podcast on Apple Podcasts.
Please check out the True North Country Comics.com website and follow along on Twitter at @TrueNorthComics
Please send your feedback to John@TrueNorthCountryComics.com